Tuesday, November 1, 2011
Looked at some "diet supplements". One thing that they seem to have in common is a little statement, usually in fine print, to the effect of "combined with a sensible diet and exercise". Well.................DUH! If you take some type of herbs, fine. If you are doing it to "lose weight", you might just keep the $20, $30, $40 in your pocket and cut right to the "sensible diet and exercise" part. I am not mentioning these things by name because I don't want to get into a big fight about this, but I'm really annoyed at the money that people waste everyday buying these things in the quest for the "magic bullet". There is no magic bullet. Your body just works in a particular way. If you take a $40 a bottle herb and eat like a horse while you sit on your couch, you will continue to gain weight. If you take the same pill and eat fewer calories per day than you burn, you will drop some weight. The problem is, you'll also drop $40. Don't fall into the trap. The diet industry makes incredible amounts of money each year by preying on people's desire to be fit and healthy. That was the reason that I started these postings. Get in touch with what your body needs. If you give it a chance, it will self-regulate, provided you are healthy. Ease off on the caloric intake, ramp up the physical movement.....just a bit at a time, and you'll see results. In this economic situation in our country, you don't need to buy a magic pill in order to eat a little less. Even if such things DID work, do you want to be dependent upon some type of pill for the rest of your life in order to keep your weight down? I don't think so. Is it easy? Nope. But it is a simple equation. Output of energy must exceed intake of food in order to lose some of your fat stores.
Labels: "Diet Supplements"
- ► 2012 (66)
- While we fight to stay healthy in a modern world, ...
- OK, that's what everyone seems to be talking...
- Ok, here we are at the day most feared by dieters...
- "Point shaving" is probably the ultimate taboo in ...
- We get caught up in our day to day activities...
- An article in the Boston Globe today, dealt with t...
- When you get a chance, the next time you're in a g...
- Those of us who refer to ourselves as "Runners" (y...
- I read today that researchers at the Univers...
- Bushido was the code of conduct of feudal Japan. ...
- A bit of a departure from our regular theme here: ...
- First of all, I wear shoes. Let's face it, in our...
- Christopher McDougall | Born to Run | National Bes...
- Holidays are upon us. This is a traditional time ...
- RESPONSIBILITY...................We have a very fo...
- The Lost Secret of Running - Video Library - The N...
- We have an elliptical machine that sits, ever at t...
- What I really need to know about fitness/diet/exer...
- Our culture seems to revolve around the consumptio...
- Looked at some "diet supplements". One thing that...
- ▼ November (20)
PRESCRIBED FOR LIFE
- "BLACK FRIDAY" (1)
- "Diet Supplements" (1)
- "IF IT FEELS BAD......DO IT" (1)
- "Point Shaving" (1)
- "Situational Eating" (1)
- A BETTER WAY TO MINIMIZE IMPACT (1)
- Blood Flow (1)
- Bushido (1)
- CABALLO BLANCO....... (1)
- CAVEMEN AND PIE (1)
- DIABETES INCREASE (1)
- DON'T BLAME PAULA DEEN (1)
- DON'T DO WHAT YOUR MOM SAID (1)
- END THE FEAST (1)
- FOOD PLACEMENT (1)
- FOOD RELATIONSHIPS (1)
- Just WHAT IS "PALEO"? (1)
- MARINE CORPS' 236TH BIRTHDAY (1)
- MY ATTITUDE COACH (1)
- MY RUNNING GROUP (1)
- NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS ARE A WASTE OF TIME........ALMOST (1)
- OLD HABITS DIE HARD (1)
- OPPORTUNITIES/FLEXIBILITY (1)
- PREDATORS (1)
- Primitive Encounters (1)
- RESPONSIBILITY (1)
- SHOES ARE RUINING OUR FEET (1)
- SLEEP (1)
- Stealth Calories (1)
- TALKING YOU DOWN FROM THE BRIDGE (1)
- TARGETED CALORIE EATING (1)
- THANKSGIVING (1)
- USMC BOOT CAMP LESSONS (1)
- WHAT AM I MISSING HERE? (1)
- WHAT IS IMPORTANT TO YOU? (1)