Wednesday, January 21, 2009

EXCUSES

There are no limits to these. Let's see........."I'm too far gone. I have pain. I have physical limitations. I'm too busy. I have kids to raise. I have long work hours. I need results FAST....the list will go on to infinity. It is so easy to find an excuse not to get up off of the couch. I know. I go through the same thing. There's no magic bullet here. Energy in.......Energy out. This is becoming a mantra. It's hard to change for the better. Your ancestry works against you. If Ogg had an unlimited supply of food piled outside the cave just for the taking, do you think he'd be out climbing trees to get bananas? Pursuing some hapless game animal to bring home for a trophy? Not on your life. He'd be sitting on his paleolithic butt, getting fat, just like we do. He would be denying what his body was designed for, just like we do now!

We are virtually no different physically from our ancestors who inhabited this planet up to about 10,000 years ago. That is the wink of an eye in evolutionary terms. We, however, have that "pile of food" stacked up for the taking at every grocery store on every corner, every drive through fast food place, every "birthday treat table" at virtually every workplace.

You can take control, however. Don't waste this beautiful machine that you inherited. Just move. Just start becoming, at least, AWARE of your caloric intake. Keep a log or a diary for a month. Write down everything you eat. Every soda, every sample from the wholesale warehouse while you are browsing, every potato chip...everything. You will amaze yourself at what you eat! There are lots of formulas for calculating your necessary caloric needs. I put a gadget on this site for basic metabolic rate. You can try the one I've been successful with, too. I allow about 13x my body weight in daily basic calories, then add to the allotment if I do some physical exercise. If you weigh 200 lb., for example, you can try to keep to about 2600 calories as a base, factoring in some light movement, just daily living stuff. I'm not saying that this will work for everyone, but it does for me. This is a way that I can manage my caloric intake and my energy needs to try to keep a little bit of a deficit in calories each day. This results in a slow, progressive loss of body fat, without being hungry, without feeling weak or unable to be physically active. Play with it a bit and find what's right for you. Keep an "Ogg image" in your mind. "WWOD?" "What would Ogg do?", or more correctly, what would Ogg NEED to do to get these calories?

No comments:

Blog Archive