Review Disclosure

I am not compensated for any reviews on this site. Some products have been sent to me by the manufacturer without cost for the purpose of testing and review, without any conditions on the results or content of the reviews. I may receive commissions from items for which advertisements appear on this site.







Friday, July 19, 2013

The "Barefoot Community"

I've been bare footing most of my life.  Not exclusively, mind you.  The Marine Corps would have frowned upon that, I think.  I also work in a profession that requires certain dress codes, but when I'm home, I NEVER have shoes on inside, and frequently am barefoot outside, as well.

I have had, through various social media, a lot of interaction with the "barefoot" community, from purists to minimalists to dabblers.  One thing I notice is how cohesive this group is.  Not that there aren't disagreements, of course.  Maybe it's the relative numbers that give a "small town" atmosphere to the barefoot community.  It seems to be comprised of a small (compared to the shod group) group of people who really believe, based upon THEIR OWN EXPERIENCE, that reducing the amount of stuff surrounding your feet is a good thing.  Nearly all of us used to run in over-priced name brand running shoes, and have the injuries to prove it.  I have a bunion (I really hate that word, by the way) and the related adjoining toe problems on one foot from "running shoes" and boots, all of which I left permanently over 3 years ago.  The other foot seems to have miraculously escaped permanent damage.

I believe it's like the camaraderie of a group of strangers taking shelter under an overhang in the rain.  That may be the only thing they have in common, but it's enough at the moment.  If you post a legitimate question on virtually any site, page, forum, etc., you will have, almost instantly, dozens of answers from people who have had it before.  Everyone just wants to help.  I never will go back to "real" shoes as some put it.  The reasons?  Better for my feet, legs, back, you name it.  Plus, I like the company here too much.

No comments:

Follow by Email