Monday, October 15, 2012

What You Want Most

      I ran across a quote the other day.  It was something to the effect of "Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want NOW."   Boy, what a mouthful of truth THAT is!  We train for races, fight over-eating and over-indulgence by doing just what that is talking about.  As much as I love to run, there are plenty of cold (well, ok Southern California doesn't compare to most places in that regard, but it can be in the 30s sometimes!), dark mornings when it would be WAY easier to sit by the fire and drink that extra cup of coffee.  I'll be out there, though running with a headlamp, feet eventually going a bit numb, putting in the miles.  I mostly do it for my health and longevity at this point.  I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm not likely to win any races, but I sure feel better when I've put in a few miles to start the day.

      Is it easier to skip the run?  Sure.  You have to decide.  Do I want to be warm and comfortable now, and deal with the high blood pressure, the high cholesterol, the overweight, the heart disease (and all the other sedentary ailments) later.  The answer?  Not just no............HELL NO!  I have a family who needs me HEALTHY.  Gets you off your backside and on the road or on the trail.  Keep your eye on what you REALLY WANT!  Now get out there.

No comments:

Blog Archive